ANKARA (AA) – Three additional patients died from the coronavirus in Kenya, while 81 have tested positive for the virus, the nation's Health Ministry said Tuesday.
It said the number of fatalities now sit at 1,734.
The new cases, 68 Kenyans and 13 foreigners, were recorded from a sample size of 2,347 people who were tested in the past 24 hours, bringing the number of confirmed infections to 99,308.
Authorities have conducted 1,130,707 COVID-19 tests in the East African country with a population of almost 55 million.
Seventy-seven patients have recovered from the virus, bringing recoveries to 82,427.
The capital of Nairobi remains the most affected in the county, recording 49 of the 81 new cases.
Kenya has seen a second wave of infections in recent weeks, with Nairobi the hardest hit.
President Uhuru Kenyatta extended a nationwide nighttime curfew earlier this month to March 12.
In an executive order, he also announced a 60-day ban on all gatherings, except funerals and weddings for up to 150 people.
With schools opening last week, there is a 90-day ban on extracurricular activities, including sports, drama, music and exchange visits.
The virus has claimed more than 2 million lives in 191 countries and regions since being detected in Wuhan, China, in December 2019, according to US-based Johns Hopkins University.
More than 95.7 million people have been infected, including over 52.8 million who have recovered.
A separate study conducted in Italy last year suggested the virus may have been circulating in that country as early as September 2019.