Fedora is an accessory with a quite impressive history. It gained in popularity in the late 19th century, especially among men, since it was rain and wind protective. The name itself derives from the title of a play written by Victorien Sardou for “the most famous actress world has ever known” Sarah Bernhardt who played the role of Princess Fedora and wore a hat similar to the one we, today, call the fedora hat.
Fedora owes its worldwide fame to the Prohibition and Great Depression era since it was commonly worn by gangsters and detectives of that time. Later on, it was often seen in Film Noir Thrillers and the 1950s’ Hollywood movies. Many notable men wore fedora as a personal statement. Among them, the most popular ones are Indiana Jones, from the Indiana Jones Franchise, Michael Jackson and former Dallas Cowboys head coach Tom Landry.
Some fedoras even have a name on their own such as Stetson, Trilby, Tyrolean Hat, Pork Pie Hat, Homburg and Boss of the Plains.
It’s the men who made fedoras popular, but the hat itself was named after a woman. Therefore, ladies, wear you fedoras with pride!
1. A Simple Blouse and a Printed Skater Skirt
Fedoras are available in almost every color; however, the traditional colors are brown, black and tan. Choose a fedora in one of these colors and combine it with a simple blouse or shirt. Break up the outfit with a floral printed skater skirt.
- Hat: Urban Excess Pick Felt Fedora
- Top: Sleeveless Silk Blouse
- Skirt: River Island Floral Print Skater Skirt
- Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs Deepest Brown Hobo Bag
- Shoes: Hermès Ottomane
2. A Maxi-Dress
A fedora and a maxi-dress make a perfect casual outfit to wear in the summer. Choose a straw fedora and a casual maxi-dress and you will be stylish and, more importantly, protected from the sun and the heat.
- Hat: Eugenia Kim Women’s Max Panama Fedora
- Dress: Oasis Stencil Print Maxi- Dress
- Bag: Brahmin Candace Hobo Bag
- Shoes: Giuseppe Zanotti
- Accessories: Rosette Necklace
3. Fedora Hat and a Trench Coat
Travel back in time and wear your fedora the way 1930’s gangsters used to do it. A fedora and a trench coat is a truly timeless combination that will always be in vogue.
- Hat: PPB Black Fedora
- Coat: Burberry Prorsum Mid-Length Cotton Sateen Trench Coat
- Pants: Stella McCartney
- Top: L.K. Bennett Daphne Merino Wool Cowl Neck Knit
- Bag: Anya Hindmarch
- Shoes: Toni Tassel Loafers
4. Fedora and Menswear Inspired Outfits
If you are getting ready to party hard tonight, you can always find inspiration for what to wear in Michael Jackson’s stage outfits. Michael Jackson was not only a style icon and one of the greatest entertainers of all time; he was also a proud owner of a truly amazing fedora hats collection. Choose a nice and classy boyfriend blazer, a necktie and a black and white fedora. This will make a very interesting, mysterious look.
- Hat: Regular Size Banded Cotton Fedora Hat
- Jacket: Robert Rodriguez
- Pants: MaxMara
- Blouse : St. Emile
- Shoes: Alexander Wang
- Accessories: Otazu Rock Star Bracelet and Pink Bow Tie
Cover photo: feme.com.ua